Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Heat, Pain and Stairs!

ow ow ow ow ow ow

Yes, I walked yesterday in the near 90 degree heat - 3.2 miles on the trail, did the stairs once, my calves did not want me to do the stairs once, my calves wanted to stay home (tender as veal they were!) But I need to keep this going. I found that 3 miles takes me under an hour and I can keep my heart rate around target for the entire time, so I've moved my starting point to the boat launch and then do a complete walk around the park.

The full tour (courtesy of Garmin)

Not much to see on the trail during the walk - a lot of Americana was happening around the lake though. Folks flipping burgers on BBQs kids yelling and laughing in the lake. It struck me as a very peaceful cacophony, almost sacred. Seeing people relax and enjoy life was much the same as looking at a painting and connecting with feeling the artist was trying to portray. You do an inner cheer for them saying "Yes, this IS what it's all about, please continue!" but then again it could have just been the heat :D

1 comment:

  1. It maybe where I live (southern edge of subrubia) but it's kinda rare to see a lot of folks out and about publicly. I did notice in D.C. this past spring that there were TONS of people doing what you described near the monuments/river. People simply enjoying life through sports, mingling, walking, running, volleyball, etc.

    ReplyDelete