Sunday, June 6, 2010

Gollum runs a marathon

Road Trip!

The day started with the sunrise, which normally most Washingtonians are blissfully unaware of. Today was different, not a cloud was to be seen. The burning ball of hydrogen spewed it's radiation indiscriminately striking all around with intense illumination. The sunscreen so cavalierly tossed in the closet last September  would be called upon today.

The preparation for the race was hap-hazard, but complete. Little did I realize I would be so ill prepared for the sunniest day of the year so far. The race started informally - no chips here, my right calf bears a hastily scrawled "281" that is my race number. 


Race materials
  • Sprint HTC EVO 4G for remote tracking via Google Lattitude
  • Garmin Forerunner 305 Onboard telemetry
  • 16GB Ipod Nano with Nike+ system
  • Amphipod hydration belt (20 oz)
  • Strawberry CHOMPS electrolyte/carbohydrate supplement
The race began  heading the wrong way - we needed to head south into Auburn before turning and heading north. the race for the most part followed the interurban trail which is a nicely maintained asphalt trail. The course for the most part is very level. My friend John and his son Jordan showed up at the beginning to cheer me on and followed for a couple of miles cheering me on from their car. The route crossed streets but it mostly followed the green river so a slight decline in elevation over time was to be expected - only two small hills that are over quickly, though with both past the 19 mile point, they were less than welcome. :D

When the race did leave the trail, it went thick into industrial Tukwila/Seattle and then through the urban residential suburbs of Southpark, back to urban industrial west Seattle and then the final 3 miles running up Alki for the finish on one of the most picturesque beaches in Seattle.
twenty miles is the halfway point in a marathon 
The solitude of running can be a great thing, but it can also make your mind your own worst enemy. especially when you start running out of energy.  Having run the race I can say there is incredible truth to the axiom the that twenty miles is the halfway point in a marathon as I felt that all I had was sucked out of me at that point. I was walking and running, my pulse was completely reactive - two minutes of slow jogging at 5 mph would send my pulse to the other side of 150 and walking would only drop it to my target rate. I was using the CHOMPS as Eric Sach had instructed  - bitten in two and allowed to melt in your cheeks. when I noticed my mouth getting dry I'd hit the Amphipod bottles. although after twenty miles I was drinking enough to noticeably "slosh" while running. from 20-23 miles was my low point but was buoyed y the return of my wife and friends who offered water and support , I started to pick back up at 24 only to be admonished a couple of short hills once I hit the each, I pushed and started running again - at that point a great realization hit me - you have it in you if you think you do, you don't if you don't. I started running and did not stop - another entrant was running along side me now - she was doing 22 miles to prep for another marathon, we talked as we ran. I was surprised that I could do either but the camaraderie helped me continue - a shared goal is easier to achieve. My wife and friends were there waiting for me, cheering me on and helping me celebrate a goal achieved. 26.2 miles is a long way, much longer than I thought and something that would have been impossible to do without friends

People who made this accomplishment possible:
First and Foremost Evi Stratton, my wife of 26 years who has supported my wacky desire to run during any weather.
John and Dorsey Marx ( and Jordy too) who have been the best of friends and running partners
Dean Krippaehne for turning me on to "Born to Run" and being once of the motivators to this obsession.
Eric Sach for selling me a pair of shoes and giving me far more in knowledge and guidance than a large pile of shoes would cost.
Tanna Kilgallon for constant motivation and support and advice on running and marathons
The Whole Gang at Nike+ for the monthly competitions that made me strive to do better 
and "TheRapture" from Hardocp.com forums who enlightened me to the world of Maximum Aerobic Function training

1 comment:

  1. YEAH SAM! GOOD JOB! WE KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!
    Well, or at least I didn't put any money on the over/under from my Vegas Booky. ;) hehe

    ReplyDelete