Friday, March 26, 2010

Tired of Slow

MAF MAF MAF MAF MAF!

This week I ran. Every. Single. Day. Why all this running you may ask? Weight loss, or the lack thereof. You see, I'm trying to lose another 40 pounds - I originally tipped the scales at 260, I am down to 220 now and want to get down to 180 which puts me right in the middle of BMI Normal land. Last Saturday I weighed myself - I had lost .9 pounds from the weigh-in 2 weeks previous. That is not good enough, I'm running, but I'm eating too, I need to control my intake better. I also need to up my workout intensity. My goal is 2-2.5 pounds per week. If I keep to my goal this summer, when I step on my Wii fitness pad, my little Mii will not puff out after completing the "Body Test".

Yesterday was the shortest run of the bunch - it was a 10K, normally I would do 8 Miles (13K). I didn't wear my Garmin yesterday, but Nike+ recorded the 10K effort. Without the Garmin's cardio alarm, I had an excuse to not worry about heart rate.

MAF (Maximum Aerobic Function) training is a great way to build up aerobic base, but it does leave you with an unmet need to run "as fast as you can" yesterday's run was a mix of half hearted self-discipline and the need to rock the pulse a bit. A 10K in 1 hour 8 minutes is not that great of a run, but it did wonders for my heart and lungs - I was actually breathing HARD.

Today I'll try to put in the 8 mile run in MAF with the Garmin yelling at me to keep my heart rate under 135. Every once in a while though, I may leave that watch at home and open it up a bit.

5 comments:

  1. Hey monkey,
    its FreDerZ from Nike+. You should definetly watch: I want to look like that guy. Its a great documentary and I think you would be motivated a lot by watching it.
    Youve got a really good objective right there and your motivation seems to be at its best ;)
    Best of luck,

    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi monkey, this is alfandar from Nike. I think that is the name of the movie: http://www.iwanttolooklikethatguy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Sounds like a great fitness goal.
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete